Thursday, April 3, 2008

Watching the crowd

People watching may be my preferred form of entertainment. Although I have a claustrophobia issue in crowds, when not feeling squished, I generally enjoy surveying my surroundings. I don't know if it is because I am critical of others, or that I just like to observe people. In other words, this could be a good or a bad habit.
Parent-child interaction makes a good subject. Anywhere there is shopping (i.e. Grocery stores, bookstores, department stores) are always thick with frazzled parents toting squalling kids. The environment invariably creates a tantrum, and the range of parent reactions is wide. I prefer the explosions.
Another subject is kids my age on college visits. During information sessions there is usually a good mix of kids whose feelings are worn on their faces and almost always connected to a body function of some time. Those who are dragged there by parents with high expectations, and cry of boredom or just roll their eyes and sigh loudly. Then there are those who are so excited about college, they almost pee their pants. And finally, those who are so scared they almost pee their pants. While attempting to listen to the same information I've heard 13 times, I love to see who matches which description.
Even everyday high school is a study in human behavior. Without continually being able to attempt a guess at what a person's thoughts are based on their actions, I think my brain would cease to function. What else would it do when wandering away from my government notes and vocab. flash cards?

No comments: