Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I make a mean casserole.

When flipping through a magazine recently, People, my guilty pleasure, I came across a Match.com add. It was a picture of a woman smiling goofily. The subtitle said "I make a mean casserole." In general, these classifications are disjointed and random. They don't seem to advertise the person's greatest achievement or desires. They really don't say anything at all about the potential soulmate. I guess this is Match.com's whole campaign, but it confused me.
Are you supposed to find your soulmate by knowing their culinary expertise? By these "fun facts to know and tell"?
What I want to figure out is how these people know the right fact for others to know and tell. How do they know their proper classification, or what characteristic completely encompasses their life in a quick phrase? How can they put their thumb down on who they really are in an Internet questionnaire or any questionnaire? Everyday, we make and break relationships and sometimes a 15 second impression is all you get. I don't think I would want to be remembered for my casseroles, but at times one bite of cooking is the best representative of our real selves. Maybe that is the real meaning of life- to try and figure each other out- or at least life's true entertainment. If we told every person we met one sentence that represented our lifetimes, where would we go from there?

No comments: