Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Mocking Smile

Walmart is quite possibly the root of all evil. I don't think there is a plainer way to say how I feel about the behemoth.
I am sure I am not the only person who has been tricked by the corporation. By using a smiley face for a logo, they draw their customers in under the false assumption they are about to experience a pleasant shopping trip. The moment I stepped through the sliding glass doors for the first time, however, they could not deceive me any longer.
Awful t-shirts, overflowing shelves of cheap merchandise, screaming children, hostile employees.
Walmart is just not a happy place, and I am not happy when I am there.
I can not help feeling as if I am destroying small businesses worldwide the entire duration of my trip. Yes, worldwide, not nationwide. Not able to stop at killing mom and pop in America, Walmart has expanded to see their influence in Mexico and other foreign nations. They have developed a system for seeping into every aspect of human life. They have started a bank and visa prepaid card, monopolized the sale of electronics and entertainment, and even begun to dabble in organic food sales. What's next? A health clinic! Why anyone would trust the same company that can only sell products in midst of destruction to care for their wellbeing is beyond me.
The promise I made to myself still holds true.... I will never enter a Walmart unless forced, and I will shun that disgusting smiley face with pride.

No comments: