Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The End of Jayhawk Rule

Aaahhhh. The NCAA tournament is finally over and Jayhawk fans have been rewarded for their obnoxious devotion.
Although I enjoy college sports, and the basketball season is one of its best, any fun ends for me with a Kansas victory. March Madness progressed with the KU basketball team moving up the bracket and Jayhawk pride sprouting everywhere. The Kansas City Star didn't even continue pretending to be unbiased. It featured the team on every sports section cover and most front pages. Needless to say, the newspaper quickly became acquainted with my family's recycling bin.
I have nothing wrong with having a team... I just have a problem with choosing KU as your team.
KU fans will plaster "2008 NCAA Basketball Champions" on every banner, flag, and t-shirt they can find. The looming clouds of memorabilia already give me stomach cramps.
I'll just have to wait until football season begins. Spring training reports will tide me over, but my patience will be worth it when I see Todd Reesing pull another clump of Tiger Gold turf out of his helmet, and pout like the whiny Jayhawk he is.
Give 'em hell Tigers.

No comments: